You must have only learned about the training for outdoor instructors just as you have arrived here. What you want to know more is what you have to expect from the training itself and if whether or not it is the right training course for you.
Instructors of outdoor activities aide people how to create new skills for themselves have fun and even learn more about their character. Their job is to lead groups in a wide array of outdoor activities. These professionals are mostly based in education, activity and centers for adventure holidays. The people that these outdoor instructors work with other people from all walks of life and all ages. These include:
- Youth and school groups
- Handicapped people
- Children that needs special emotional and educational needs
- Adult recreation groups
- Team building activities on business people
The activities involved with outdoor training vary depending on the needs of every group, but most of the time it includes camping, climbing, archery, canoeing, sailing, windsurfing, problem solving and mountain biking.
The courses also vary in length, whether it is for a single day or to a 4 week span expedition. These training centers oftentimes specialize in certain activities. However the instructors are sometimes qualified in various forms of activities.
What this job entails include the following:
- Preparation and planning of different activities
- Providing practical instructions, demonstrations and advice to the ones involved in the activities.
- Assessing the hazards while managing the risks
- Looking out for each other and checking out the equipment
- Organizing social activities
- Leading up the discussions in order to aid the participants enjoy and at the same time learn from every activity they have engaged in
- Dealing with unforeseen accidents and also helping people that get too scared or too upset in attempting the activity
- Ensuring the well-being and safety of the participants
Depending on the skills of the participants, they might also be involved in designing the courses and liaising with the clients.
All the instructors are expected to be responsible about the environment and even ensure that the groups they are handling respect the surroundings they are going to.
Also, the job regarding outdoor training involves irregular hours of doing the work. There are times when you have to get involved with the participants during dawn, evenings or on holidays. The long expeditions and treks can even mean that you need to camp out and the centers are mostly located in remote areas.
Some jobs with outdoor activities are provided full time, although most of the time the job’s demand are seasonal. Part time is more common in this area of work.
This is a perfect career for those who wish to be always active and want to spend most of their time outdoors. Instructors get to climb heights and even organize activities on land and on water. It doesn’t matter what kind of weather it is – outdoor instructors are trained to brave any kind of situation, but first they oversee the welfare of their group whether it is necessary to take the risk or not.